Two students said they had a reaction to marijuana-laced brownies they ate on a school bus in Charlton Friday afternoon.
Stephanie Nichols, a sophomore at Bay Path Regional Vocational Technical High School, said she was in shop class when a boy started selling brownies to the class. “He had brownies and everyone was buying them,” Nichols said. “I went up to him and I bought them. I had no clue that there was anything in the brownies.” Nichols said she paid $5 for two brownies and she and her cousin, Stephanie Redmond, also a sophomore at the school, ate them on the bus. Both had a reaction the pot brownies and had to be taken to the hospital. “I had like a laugh attack,” Redmond said. “Then afterward, my heart started like racing.” Redmond said her heart rate went up to 160 and she was told she could’ve had a stroke. Charlton police are investigating, but the girls’ mothers are also demanding that the school take swift action. “They just gave us the impression that ‘Oh, we handled it. We suspended him. That’s the end of it.’ It’s not. My kid almost died,” Laura Redmond said. “I personally don’t want to go back to that school because I’m getting threats,” Nichols said. Good god, if kids today were educated more on cannabis over-reactions like this one wouldn’t happen and the drama that follow it wouldn’t exist.